Topics

VDL 2 and a newbie"

Graham Wickens <graham@...>

Hi All,

thinking about getting VDL2 working, so have a couple of questions (after being bamboozled by the Planeplotter VDL2 Tutorial ).

I am feeding PP from a dongle using Dump1090 on Windows 10.

a) can I get VDL2 to work using Windows only?

b) do I need another dongle for VDL2 or can I use the existing one?

I have to say upfront that I struggle learning new things due to a stroke a few years ago.

I have multipsk installed and ready and I have another dongle if required, so what else do I need ?

thx

¿¿¿ Graham@...
(ô ô) <http://www.westrowops.co.uk>
----ooO-(_)-Ooo----

No Such Thing as a Stupid Question, Only a Stupid Answer

Dick

Hi Graham,

a) can I get VDL2 to work using Windows only?
Yes, you can use MultiPSK.

b) do I need another dongle for VDL2 or can I use the existing one?
A dongle can only be used by one program at a time.
So if you want to keep feeding PP from a dongle using Dump1090, you have to use a separate dongle for VDL2.

Have a look at this page which I created a while ago and let's see how far you get.
http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/w/page/75894179/VDL%20mode%202

Cheers,
Dick

Graham Wickens <graham@...>

Thanks Dick,

I have two DVB-T+DAB+FM dongles, but could not get them to work Dump1090. I presume taht the frequency range of the dondles is insufficient for use with dump1090, but will these be suitable for VDL2?

thx

Hi Graham,

--
        ¿¿¿                 Graham@...
       (ô ô)                <http://www.westrowops.co.uk>
----ooO-(_)-Ooo----

No Such Thing as a Stupid Question, Only a Stupid Answer

Paul Gulliver

This would suggest they would be ok, as they only go up to 800/900MHz explains why they wouldn't work on ADSB (1090MHz)

Paul

On 10/06/2020 at 10:36, Graham Wickens <graham@...> wrote:

Thanks Dick,

I have two DVB-T+DAB+FM dongles, but could not get them to work Dump1090. I presume taht the frequency range of the dondles is insufficient for use with dump1090, but will these be suitable for VDL2?

thx

Hi Graham,

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:37 AM, Graham Wickens wrote:

but could not get them to work Dump1090
That is surprising as I have (collected) quite a of them over the years and they all worked.
Having said that; I was not aware of the info Paul linked to.

Can you be more specific on "could not get them to work"?
Do you get any errors when you use them with dump1090-windows, or are you just not getting any data?

If they work at all, they should be fine for VDL2 as the main calling frequency is 136.975 MHz.
Results of Sunday 2020-06-07
Number of Messages = 13394
Frequency (136.975) 40,3%
Frequency (136.875) 1,3%
Frequency (136.825) 15,4%
Frequency (136.775) 40,4%

Cheers,
Dick

Paul Gulliver

I must admit all the dongles I've had over the years have worked on ADSB, but
none I have are
marked "DVB-T+DAB+FM" so I assume the limited frequency range is connect with
this particular model/tuner chip

Paul

On 10/06/2020 at 12:53, "Dick" <hobbyd@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:37 AM, Graham Wickens wrote:

but could not get them to work Dump1090
That is surprising as I have (collected) quite a of them over the years and
they all worked.
Having said that; I was not aware of the info Paul linked to.

Dick

Indeed (and of course) it is the tuner chip that makes all the difference.

More details as well as which are supported by the RTLSDR software:
https://projects.osmocom.org/projects/rtl-sdr/wiki/Rtl-sdr

Cheers,
Dick

Graham Wickens <graham@...>

They were as deaf as a post on dump1090, just the pretty blue light to show it was taking power :)

what would be the ideal dongle to get for VDL2 (I live in the UK) and dont know alot about electronics I have to admit (Been an avid Airband & SBS-1 Listener/Watcher since Pontius was a Pilot).

Dick wrote on 10/06/2020 12:53:
[...]

This is the dongle I use now, Ok up to 1700MHz (L band) and has the option to provide 5volts bias tee if required for any pre-amps, it's also quite stable

Paul

Dick wrote on 10/06/2020 12:53:
[...]

I should point out, I tend to buy via ebay, various suppliers

Paul

Dick wrote on 10/06/2020 12:53:
[...]

If you prefer to buy local and/or prefer speed over price the this site

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

gave this UK seller

https://shop.technofix.uk/super-stable-1ppm-tcxo-r820t2-tuner-rtl2832u-rtl-sdr-usb-stick-version-3

Many years ago I bought 2 from a UK company, but I can’t remember the name nor find it in the search results.

Make sure you get one with a R820T2 tuner and version V3..

Other options from the UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTL-SDR-Blog-V3-RTL2832U-1PPM-TCXO-HF-BiasT-SMA-Software-Defined-Radio-tiPTUK/233573117912?hash=item36620aefd8:g:0fQAAOSwFpddYkcj

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTL-SDR-Blog-V3-RTL2832U-1PPM-TCXO-HF-BiasT-SMA-Software-Defineds-Radio-USB-UK/224020215042?hash=item3428a53502:g:rRkAAOSwmMBeyOVq

Cheers,
Dick

Graham Wickens <graham@...>

Off to my usual flying start.

plugged in one of my spare dongles.

I installed MULTIPSK and on startup I immediately get an error message before I have done anything.  "Impossible working because there is no sound card", (There is one!) , Violation accessing addr 61473940.

help!

Dick wrote on 10/06/2020 12:53:
[...]

ordered this one

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 05:25 PM, Graham Wickens wrote:

I installed MULTIPSK and on startup I immediately get an error message before
I have done anything.  "Impossible working because there is no sound card",
(There is one!) , Violation accessing addr 61473940.
I searched for "Impossible working because there is no sound card" in the MultiPSK group and got several hits.
Haven't read them all, but I suspect this is the Windows 10 privacy that is giving you a hard time.

Go to Windows settings, Privacy, Microphone and make sure the Mic is enabled.

Or, you have a soundcard that is not detected until you plug a connector into the speaker jacks.

Cheers,
Dick